Senator David Mark was born on the 8th of April, 1948 in Zungeru, Niger State of Nigeria. He attended St, Francis Catholic Practicing School in Otukpo from 1956 – 1961 where he obtained his first school leaving certificate.
Senator David Mark attended the Nigerian Military School, Zaria from 1962 – 1966 and the Nigerian Defense Academy, Kaduna from 1967 – 1970. Senator David Mark also attended the following schools:
- School of Signals, Blandford, United Kingdom, 1970;
Military College of Telecommunication Engineering, Mhow, 1971-75;
- Command Staff College, Jaji, 1978-79;
- National Defense University, Washington DC, 1990-91;
- Harvard University, Boston, 1991-92.
As a Military officer, Senator David Mark held the following responsibilities:
- Commander 1 Division Headquarters & Signals, Kaduna;
Commandant, School of Signals, Lagos;
- Staff Officer, Operations Headquarters & Signals Lagos;
- Sports Officer, Signal Brigade, Lagos;
- Faculty Director, National War College;
- General Staff Officer, Grade I Coordinate Command & Staff College, Jaji;
- Directing Staff Officer, Command and Staff College, Jaji;
- Commander, 3rd Marine Signals Division, Port-Harcourt;
- Brigade Major, Signal Brigade, Lagos;
- Director of Telecommunications, Army Headquarters, Lagos;
- Chairman, Abandoned Properties Implementation Commission;
- Military Governor, Niger State, 1984-86;
- Minister of Communications, 1987;
In 1999, Senator David was elected Senator representing, Benue South, under the platform of the Peoples Democratic party and so far he has been re-elected for the 5th time.
He was President of the Nigerian Senate between June 2007 to June 2015.
Senator David Mark and his wife, Mrs Helen Mark, have children. He enjoys golf, tennis, and squash. He is an Idoma and a Christian.